Sunset – the most gorgeous colors!
The grounds at the Hilton Waikoloa Village
Enjoying a Hawaiian style breakfast
Trekking out to the black sand beach
Can’t forget the malasadas!
Enjoying the pool’s waterfall
Taking in the sunset
It’s been a while since we took a vacation and this one is the first long one post-baby. Let me tell you, it’s definitely a different kind of pace to travel with a small child but it was well worth it! We’ve visited Oahu and Maui before so for this vacation we set off to the Big Island. We wanted a place that was baby friendly so after much research we stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel. Let me tell you – the hotel is huge. To get around the property you can walk, take a tram, or canal boat. There are plenty of pool areas for you to use and lots of food choices. You could come to the hotel and never have to leave!
One of things on our to-do list was to get some authentic food. Things I would recommend trying out:
• Tex Drive In: great for breakfast or lunch. Also, try the malasadas.
• Hawaiian Style Cafe: the portions are gigantic – definitely, order less and share!
• Shell gas stations or 7-Eleven: hear me out – they have onigiri style sushi. Reminds of when I was in Japan eating these! They’re the perfect size to grab for on-the-go trips and that means you can try different fillings.
• Original Big Island Shave Ice: a small size is pretty generous, especially if you get snow cap toppoing. If you prefer extra fine shave ice, this is your spot!
• Anunue Shave Ice: In contrast to Original Big Island Shave Ice, the shave ice here is the usual courseness. Tried the ube flavor ice cream under the shave ice – loved it. All under $5!
Unlike Oahu or Maui which are more commercialized, the Big Island has pockets of this. Thus, there was quite a bit more driving involved to get around. We did manage to drive the Kapoho Kalapana Road – a very scenic drive along the shoreline. We did get to see Kalapana black sand beach but not before taking a short hike from the parking lot to the actual “beach.” It was a very short shoreline and not exactly the kind you go and lounge around at. We did pass (but didn’t get a chance to stop by) the Mauna Loa chocolate factory. Hiking to see the Akaka Falls was quite short but it felt much longer due to the intense heat and humidity but the sight was quite beautiful.
The trip was very fun and relaxing, and I can’t wait for our next adventure!
SHOP THE LOOK:
Welcome to the weekly Style Me Wednesday fashion link-up! The Style Me Wednesday fashion blog link-up goes live every Wednesday and is meant to be a venue for you to showcase what you’re wearing or a favorite look. It’s the perfect opportunity to discover new bloggers (and friends!) and styles.
Simply follow the steps below to join Style Me Wednesday fashion link up!
2. Link up using the widget below to your specific blog post (i.e today’s post), not your blog’s homepage
3. Grab a button to share on your blog post about Shopping My Closet’s blog link up
Looks You'll Love
- budget finds (3)
- deals (62)
- gift guide (11)
- giveaway (15)
- home (1)
- how to guide (3)
- inspiration (14)
- link-up (130)
- mom life (3)
- outfits (217)
- review (3)
- save or splurge (16)
- social (2)
- sponsored (19)
- star style (30)
- style trend (110)
- the look for less (11)
- travel (7)
- Style: Gucci loafer mule slide & other budget friendly options
- Style: choker neck sweater
- Style: hoop purses
- All neutral outfit // Style Me Wednesday
- Style: bow platforms